When the garden goes crazy or you haul home just a few too many veggies from the farmers market, try this Late Summer Vegetable Stew to make quick and tasty work of your bounty. It's delicious on its own, it doesn't mind being turned into a topping for polenta either.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 sweet bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 zucchini
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or broth
- Possible garnishes: basil, oregano, parsley, black pepper, chile sauce, freshly shredded parmesan or other hard cheese
- Start by prepping the vegetables. Roast and peel the peppers. While you let the peppers sit between roasting and peeling, chop the onions, garlic, zucchini, and tomatoes (remove the seeds from the tomatoes as well). Then peel and chop the peppers..
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the onions, garlic, and salt, stirring frequently, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until zucchini is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in peppers and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve the stew hot with the garnish(es) of your choice.
Makes 4 servings Late Summer Vegetable Stew.