Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 red bell peppers or other sweet, red roasting peppers
- 1/2 lb. spaghetti
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red chile flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste and for cooking pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- Basil for garnish (optional)
- Roast and peel the peppers, cut them into chunks or strips and set them aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water, drain the pasta, and set it aside.
- In the same pot in which you cooked the pasta or a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic, chile flakes (if you like), and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the reserved peppers and stir to combine. Add the pasta and reserved cooking water and cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed.
- Serve topped with the cheese and basil torn into pieces or cut into a chiffonade, if you like.
Makes 3 to 4 servings of Roasted Red Bell Pepper Pasta.