Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound okra
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 3 hot chiles, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- Lemon juice
- Rinse and trim the okra. Cut any but the very smallest pods into bite-size pieces.
- Heat a heavy pot over high heat. Add oil and cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start to turn color (about 30 seconds), add onion, garlic, and chile. Stir to combine. Add okra. Cook, stirring frequently, until okra is tender to the bite and brown on the edges, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste and lemon juice, if you like. Serve hot or warm.
Makes 4 to 6 servings of Spicy Sautéed Okra.