This Arugula Salad With Broiled Lemon uses sugared broiled lemons to add sweet and tart to sharp arugula for a refreshing, addictive salad.
If you happen to have olive oil that was pressed with lemons ("lemon crushed olive oil"), go ahead a use that - it adds an extra lemon note that is lovely here. You can even make your own lemon-infused olive oil, if you like. Worry not, though, if that's not in the cards, any high quality extra virgin olive oil will do very nicely.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 – 8 cups arugula
- Scrub the lemons clean and slice them as thinly as possible. Put the slices and any juice you can wrangle from the cutting board into a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the sugar and a teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine everything and to dissolve the sugar and salt. Let the lemon slices sit for at least 1 hour and up to a day.
- Heat a broiler. Cover a baking pan with foil. Spread the lemon slices in as single a layer as possible given the number of slices and the size of the pan. Drizzle any juice in the bowl over the lemons.
- Broil the lemons until they start to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, and any juices left from the pan of broiled lemons. Taste and add salt to taste, if you like. [Note, if using Meyer lemons you may want to add a splash of champagne vinegar or cider vinegar to compensate for the less acidic nature of Meyers.]
- Add the arugula to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Top with the broiled lemon slices and serve.