Sweet and tart grapefruit sections, silky smooth avocado, and lightly crisp butter lettuce combine into an easy and delicious springtime salad.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 salads
- 1 to 2 head(s) butter lettuce
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 avocados
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Separate the butter lettuce leaves. Rinse them clean and pat them dry. Set aside.
- Cut the peel off the grapefruits. Over a bowl to catch the juices, cut the grapefruits into sections. (See these step-by-step directions if you've never sectioned citrus before.) Set the sections aside and reserve the juice.
- Halve the avocados. Remove the pit, peel, and cut into slices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, 1 tablespoons of the reserved grapefruit juice, and the mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the butter lettuce leaves to the bowl of dressing (rip them into bite-size pieces if you like). Toss everything gently until the leaves are evenly coated in the dressing. Lift the dressed lettuce leaves out of the bowl and divide onto individual plates.
- Put the avocado slices in the bowl and toss to coat with any remaining dressing. Place on the individual plates.
- Add the grapefruit sections to the individual salads. Drizzle any remaining dressing over the salads, if you like.