Sweet and tart grapefruit sections, silky smooth avocado, and lightly crisp butter lettuce combine into an easy and delicious springtime salad.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 salads
- 1 -2 head(s) butter lettuce
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 avocados
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Separate the butter lettuce leaves. Rinse them clean and pat them dry. Set aside.
- Cut the peel off the grapefruits. Over a bowl to catch the juices, cut the grapefruits into sections. (See these step-by-step directions if you've never sectioned citrus before.) Set sections aside and reserve the juice.
- Halve avocados. Remove pit, peel, and cut into slices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. of the reserved grapefruit juice, and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add butter lettuce leaves to bowl of dressing (rip into bite-size pieces if you like). Toss gently until leaves are evenly coated in the dressing. Lift dressed lettuce out of the bowl and divide into individual plates.
- Put avocado slices in the bowl and toss to coat with any remaining dressing. Place on individual plates.
- Add grapefruit sections to individual salads. Drizzle any remaining dressing over the salads, if you like.