Putting heads of Romaine lettuce on the grill wilts the outer leaves, gives this salad and smokey flavor, but keeps most of the leaves nice and crisp. A bright buttermilk dressing, some snap peas, and a few radishes make this salad delightfully refreshing.
Note: The lettuce is only on the grill for a bit, so this salad is great to make when you have the grill heated up already.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 21 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce
- olive oil for brushing
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 cup radishes
- 1 bunch green onions (about 8)
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk Dressing
- Pull off any bruised or damaged leaves off the outside of the heads of Romaine. Brush the lettuces with olive oil.
- Put romaine on a hot grill and cook, turning once, until the outer leaves are charred and a bit wilted, about 3 minutes per side.
- Chop romaine into bite size pieces and put in a large salad bowl.
- Cut snap peas into bite size pieces; slice radishes; chop green onions. Add all to the romaine.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat thoroughly. Serve immediately.