Tuscan, black, or dino kale has dark green, deeply curly leaves that are usually cooked – in this recipe it is simply sliced thin, tossed with a bright dressing, and served raw to great effect.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 head Tuscan, black, or Dino kale
- 1 small shallot or garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- Rinse kale leaves and pat them dry. Trim off stem ends and slice the leaves, crosswise, into ribbon-like pieces. Set aside.
- Finely mince the shallot or garlic clove and put it in a large salad bowl. Add vinegar and sugar and let sit 10 minutes. Whisk in oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add kale and toss gently until the leaves are evenly coated. Add Parmesan, if you like, and toss to combine.