Sweet dates soften the strong flavors of peppery arugula and bitter radicchio to make a tempting, crunchy fall and winter salad.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 2 small heads radicchio
- 4 - 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12 dates
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lay hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast until their skins crack, about 10 minutes. Transfer hazelnuts to a kitchen towels and rub them with great enthusiasm to remove as much of their skins as will come off. Sometimes its a lot, sometimes not so much. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get every bit of skin off the nuts – the salad will be fine with some skin in there! Set hazelnuts aside to cool.
- Rinse and dry arugula leaves. Cut the core out of the radicchio heads, cut heads into quarters, and chop into bite-size pieces. Set leaves aside.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and salt. Pit dates and chop them. Add them to the dressing. Adjust salt and vinegar to taste after adding the dates.
- Chop the hazelnuts.
- Add arugula and radicchio to the salad bowl and toss gently but thoroughly. Divide among salad plates. Top with hazelnuts and feta cheese, if you like. Serve sooner rather than later.