Note: Use unseasoned rice wine vinegar (the "seasoned" kind has added salt and sugar) in this recipe or another mild vinegar, such as cider vinegar.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 head red cabbage
- 1 tsp. vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. unseasoned rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- Pull off and discard the outer leaves of the cabbage. Using a sharp knife, cut the cabbage in half lengthwise (through core). Cut out and discard the core. Lay the cabbage cut-side down and slice it as thinly as possible (you can also use a mandoline if you have one handy). Set the cabbage aside.
- In a large sauté pan or medium pot, heat the oil and caraway seeds over medium-high heat until the seeds sizzle. Add the cabbage and salt. Cook, stirring, to combine everything. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is wilted and tender to the bite, about 15 minutes. Feel free to cook the cabbage longer - up to 30 minutes - if you want it extra-tender.
- Sprinkle the cabbage with vinegar. Taste and add more salt and vinegar, if you like. Serve the cabbage hot or warm.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Caraway Red Cabbage.