This quick and warming cauliflower soup recipe uses the texture of cooked onions and cauliflower to make a creamy soup from puréed vegetables and milk. It's a lovely start to a heavier meal, or serve it with crusty bread for a light dinner.
Please note the range of milk you can add. Use less for a thicker soup, more for a thinner soup. Also, as with most soups, homemade broth greatly improves the flavor and nutrition value of this soup.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 cups
- 1 Tablespoon butter, plus 2 Tablespoons for optional garnish
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more to taste
- 1 to 2 cups low-fat or whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped parsley, optional
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat so onions are cooking but not browning, until onions look starchy and a bit creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower, stir to combine, cover and cook 3 minutes. Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer, and cook the soup until the cauliflower is tender to the bite, about 10 minutes.
- Purée the soup with a hand-held blender. Or, whirl in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth (place a kitchen towel over blender to prevent potential burns).
- Stir in the pepper and nutmeg. (Note: At this point the soup may be cooled, covered, and frozen for up to 4 months.)
- Add the milk and cook over medium-low heat until the soup is hot. Taste and add more salt, pepper, and/or nutmeg to taste, if you like.
- Meanwhile, if you want to add the parsley butter swirl, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and stir in the parsley.
Serve the soup hot, with a swirl of parsley butter, if you like.
Note: You also might like this luxurious Cream of Cauliflower Soup or this spicy Curried Cauliflower Soup. For even more tasty ideas, check out these delicious Chill-Chasing Fall Soups and Warming Winter Soups.