Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 6 grapefruits
- 1 cup sugar
- Campari or vodka (optional)
- Strip zest from 1 grapefruit, being careful to exclude any bitter white pith. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, dissolve sugar in 1 cup water. Add grapefruit zest and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook until zest is tender, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove zest and transfer sugar syrup to a bowl and let cool (you can speed this up by placing the sugar syrup bowl over a bowl of ice). Chop zest and set aside.
- Meanwhile, juice grapefruits. You should have about 4 cups juice. Combine juice and 1/2 of the sugar syrup. Add more sugar syrup to taste. Cover and chill until cold, about 1 hour.
- For sorbet: Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers' instructions.
For granita: Pour mixture into a metal pan, cover with plastic wrap, and place in freezer. Stir and scrape with a fork every 30 minutes to make a light, fluffy mixture. Cover and keep frozen until ready to serve.
- Serve with a drizzle of Campari or vodka, if you like, and topped with chopped zest.
Makes about 1 quart Grapefruit Sorbet.