Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-in. piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely shredded or minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1 1/2 lb. potatoes, cut into bite-size (about 1/2 in.) pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil; add the onion, and 1/2 tsp. salt, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, until it's very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, pepper flakes, chipotle powder, and cayenne (if using). Cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the potatoes and stir to combine well. Add the broth, increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the potatoes are just tender to the bite, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, cover, and cook until the flavors blend, the chickpeas are heated through, and the potatoes are very tender to the bite, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt and lemon juice to taste. Serve the stew hot, topped with parsley.
Makes 4 servings Potatoes With Chickpeas.