Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Russett potatoes (about 2 lbs. total), peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- Freshly ground white or black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, leeks, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is a bit creamy looking, about 10 minutes (adjust heat so mixture cooks but doesn't start to brown).
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender to the bite, about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup with a hand-held blender until very smooth; or, whirl the soup in batches in a blender or food processor (cover blender with a kitchen towel to avoid potential burns). For an ultra-smooth soup, you can strain the soup through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Add the milk and gently heat, but do not boil, the soup. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Makes about 10 cups Potato Leek Soup (8 servings).