Nutty brussels sprouts, rich eggs, and flavorful Pecorino cheese make a quick and delicious (not to mention healthful) pasta sauce that's ready in the time it takes to boil water and cook pasta.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 12 ounces penne pasta (or other bite-sized shape)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional), plus more to taste
- 8 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, outer leaves removed, and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese (or other hard grating cheese, such as Parmesan), plus more to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoons of the salt and the pasta. Cook until the pasta is tender to the bite.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat add the olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. When fragrant and sizzling, add brussels sprouts and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the brussels sprouts are soft, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and keep warm, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs and cheese. Set aside.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain and immediately add to the egg and cheese mixture. Toss to coat the pasta (and lightly cook the eggs). Add the brussels sprouts mixture and toss to combine thoroughly. Add salt, pepper flakes, or cheese to taste. Serve hot.