Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 leeks
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3 lbs. potatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz. gruyère or Swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Clean and chop the leeks. In a medium frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp. of the butter. Add the leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3 minutes. Set the leeks aside.
- Rub a 2-qt. baking dish or gratin pan with the remaining butter. Set the prepared pan aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/4-in. slices. Cover the bottom of the dish with 1/4 of the potato slices. Spread 1/2 of the cooked leeks on the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer another 1/4 of the potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat potato, leek, potato, cheese layers, sprinkling with salt and pepper at each layer.
- Cover the dish and bake 20 minutes. Uncover the dish and continue baking until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the whole thing is a lovely bubbling brown on top, about 25 minutes (depending on how fresh the potatoes are cooking time may take as long as 90 minutes—cover the dish if the potatoes and cheese become too brown). Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings Potato Leek Gratin.